Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Clutch Break In Question

  1. #11
    Inactive Member kannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2000
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    apparently the CM stage 3 has some kevlar in there according to the enclosed note, which is why it requires a break-in.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mine is a CS Stage 2. I figure the break in period is to gently wear the clutch surface down and eliminate it's irregularites. Perhaps if you wail on a part-organic clutch too early, you'll tear away larger chunks, which will leave less clutch material for the future.

    This idea would explain why race clutches have no break in.

    This is really pissing me off! I have a new LSD and am back to 10psi and I can't enjoy either!

    Oh well. I'm going to floor it enough to tune FP and ignition for 10psi. Come this Friday, I'll consider the clutch broken in, no matter how many miles I have on it.

    Greg

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Mr Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    1,097
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    biggrin

  4. #14
    Inactive Member 97SCGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2001
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Greg,

    I want to purchase the CS stage2 as well, Where did you get yours from and how much?

    I've heard of a couple of diffrent places,but since you have one I figured ask you. thanks in advance

    Charlie.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got mine for $290 shipped from the Group Buy hosted by WickedPerformance (a member here).

    Greg

  6. #16
    Inactive Member kannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2000
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I just called clutchmasters regarding the 500 mile break-in period on my stage 3 clutch.

    I asked them to go into a little more detail about what it does, and how to measure 500 miles of stop and go driving.

    Im not fully satisfied with the answer I got, but here is the jist of it:

    He said just to do 500 miles of regular driving. Similar to what you would do if you bought a brand new car. Dont romp on it. He said to keep it under 4000 rpms (although he didnt ask what kind of car i had).

    He also said it would allow the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate to all mesh together well.

    Thoughts?

  7. #17
    Inactive Member 97SCGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2001
    Posts
    72
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree w/ the 500 mile theory, better safe than sorry, I just ordered my CS stage 2 clutch, looks like I got some drivrn to do.

    ------------------
    97 GS @8 PSI
    Aem CAI,DC Header,DC catback Exhaust,BBk 62mm TB,B&M FPR,B&M S.Shifter,ECU,8 psi upgrade,Walbro FP,Cartech FMU,RC 310's,JR-BTC.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Peyomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2000
    Posts
    190
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I got my CM stage 3 from Endyn today:

    "IMPORTANT Kevlar break in period. Clutchmasters kevlar clutches require a break in period of 450-500 MILES of stop and go driving before full abuse can be initiated. (No full throttle shifting or compression braking) This Milage "(their type not mine)" is required to allow the disc to properly seat to the flywheel and pressure plate."

    What the hell is compression braking? Is that braking with the clutch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •